Tips and Tricks - Hidden Gems in Krita

Awesome tips. This thread needs to be sticky.

Configuring custom shortcuts or knowing the deafult ones, as someone said previously, is always something you want to. There’s a lot you can save.

Some of my most used tools are

• switching between paint and eraser with “e”
  • color picker “command”
  • pick the real color from the active layer, if the you have a filter layer or mask that alters your colors “command - option”
  • alter value of current color “k” darker “l” lighter. It’s possible to add shortcut too, for “saturation”, add more “blue, red, green ,yellow” and shift “hue” in both directions.
  • pick a layer in the canvas with holding “r” and click on a part in the image.

If you use the palette presets /wheel “right click” you can customize the number of brushes you see there. Settings -> General -> Misc -> Number of palette presets -> enter a number.

9 Likes

I use the wrap mode a lot when I am creating patterns. Why? Because I can apply lot of filters that affect pixels, and get a nice texture from that. Later I will document it :wink:

1 Like

You can Save the color palette in the document itself. This comes in handy if the current project requires some color palette which is specific to that project. To use this feature, create a new palette by clicking on the plus icon in the palette selection drop down in the palette docker

Screenshot_20191122_124831

Then it will show you a dialog to create new palette, there you can choose to save this new palette in the current document.

Screenshot_20191122_124922

This comes in handy when you have send the file to your colleague while collaborating in a project. If they make a change in the palette it will be saved in the document and you’ll see the new colors when you get the file back.

7 Likes

Tips I make use of:

• If you’re using a tablet pc, you already know that two fingers on the screen let you pan, zoom, and rotate. There’s a chance that you might accidentally draw while trying to use this. To stop that from happening, you can turn off finger-drawing in the options. My experience with Krita got significantly better after turning this off.
  • Related to the first tip is rotation and zoom control. Keys 1 - 6 (maybe more, not remembering now) control rotation and zoom. For example, if you accidentally rotate your canvas while two-finger scrolling, press 5 to turn it back to 0% rotation.
4 Likes

I didn’t realize that finger-drawing was the reason my brush strokes sometimes went ham on my Surface! It happened rarely, but just enough that it got a bit annoying. Thank you for the great tip malle_yeno, this made drawing on it much more enjoyable! :grin:

4 Likes

. If you want more gradients but don’t know where to get them, You can get a bunch from the resources folder on gimp, witch has a lot of good default ones. same with textures.

1 Like

Isn’t something similar to arranging already possible with other tools for raster layers? Or do you mean something like sending a selected part of one layer onto another one?

Thanks for the great tip! If anyone else is looking for these resources and you have GIMP installed, I found mine in:
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0

I’m on Windows, so YMMV for OSX or linux. Im on GIMP 2.10.14

1 Like

You can assign shortcuts to 'show reference image" and the multiple stroke smoothing modes and use these shortcuts while drawing.

2 Likes

Thanks for these. showing and hiding reference image is indeed useful

I feel like this isn’t really a hidden gem, but not very many people use it… (From what I know)
The “quick settings docker”!! By far this has to be my favorite!
Because I can quickly set the flow, opacity, or the size of the brush tool with a simple click! :grin: To me, it’s a lot like an underrated gem!

3 Likes

Is it possible to crop reference pictures in krita? I haven’t found a way so I do this in Gimp.

1 Like

I believe this is possible with either the Krita Photobash Plugin on GitHub by @slightlyangrydodo (veryprofessionaldodo on GitHub) or the Modification of the Plugin on GitHub by @EyeOdin to crop reference images (at least before pasting), but have not used these plugins so far and therefore I can be wrong.

Michelist

2 Likes

Thanks for the ping @Michelist ! Basically, in the photobash plugin you can add images as references, but if there’s a way to crop a reference in the basic version of Krita’s references, it can be done in the plugin.

I believe you can do it without the plugin, but I’m not entirely sure.

Since the reference cut project is on hold for Krita I made this in the meanwhile to isolate my references and it has been holding up connecting to other plugins and OS.
https://krita-artists.org/uploads/default/original/3X/c/3/c31c2949286bb4e222d6e2402f3a4b5a8127a0a0.gif

Would I need to first install Krita Photobash Plugin, then the Modification? (both of which are listed in Michelist’s post) Or do they work independently of each other?
Took a look at your gif and it looks great.

Would a right click on the reference image still allows me to transform it just as it worked before.
Can reference images be placed beside the canvas. gif is showing them being placed on the canvas only.

They are independent so to not cause issues on the registry. Despite the differences I did my best to maintain as close to original and adding new stuff to it as I could, it should be considered as a possible future version if it is adopted for the vision it was meant for.

You can drop the images into the plugins: Pigment.O and Key Enter. If anyone makes a drag and drop feature it will work onto their plugin also.

The “modified” version per-say is made to work with Key Enter plugin in parallel but having both is not needed or even required. Key Enter only extends function. That “modified” version of Photobash was the last one before I changed direction in concept as i am not favoring a Photobashing workflow now and will have a different use case. But my last modified version is preserved to be used if anyone desires.

Just thinking I might want to wait and see what you create as a “change in direction”.

I’m so glad you are addressing this. It will be great to not have to interrupt work flow in order to crop a reference image.

Thank you!

Tip: How to Shrink an Image

Layer styles can be used to add outlines of any thickness to an image.
Conversely, you can shrink the image by setting “Position” to “Inside” and “Opacity” to “0%”.

This may not work depending on the transparency of the image, but it may be useful to keep in mind.

7 Likes

Rectangular graphics color picker for HSY.

This allows for easy control of visual brightness.
For example, keep the position in the rectangle unchanged, and only adjust the hue wheel, so that different colors with the same visual brightness can be selected.

Use soft proofing to see visual brightness changes.
After making the following settings, use soft proofing Ctrl+Y.

Also, I’ve changed the topic category to Tutorials to make it easier for users to find.

1 Like