For context, my favorite brush to use was an experimental charcoal sketch brush Ramon Miranda made sometime ago:
However, my laptop gone crazy one day and the next thing I knew I had to reset it and thus I lost the brush. Although I was able to redownload most of the custom brushes I use in Krita, apparently the charcoal brush I usually use no longer existed so I couldn’t redownload it. As a result, I decided to try replicating it using the brush engine and my vague understanding of how it worked.
I started out by using one of the charcoal brushes that are already in the program–I think it was the medium charcoal brush as the base since its settings are more or less similar to what I was used to. I then started playing around with the settings–particular the Fuzzy Dab and the overall pressure and after several attempts this is what I ended up with:
To me, it’s almost close and looks pretty good but not exactly like the one Ramon made. I know because the way mine behaves at 200 px is not as scattered as the original. Until now, I still don’t quite figure out how it works .
Overall, I like the brush I made so far and this experience gave me interesting insight on how the Krita Brush Engine works. Just playing around with the settings can create different kinds of results.