Want to try Krita 5 Beta

Hello, please could someone clarify for me if it is possible to try the Beta version for Krita 5 without affecting anything in Krita 4 (resource folder etc…). Do I just have to use the portable zip version to do this?
Thanks

The portable .zip package and the installed version both use the same configuration files and the same resources folder so they are not isolated from each other.
There are two ways to try the 5.0.0-beta that will not affect your 4.x installation.

1. Create a new user account on your PC and log into that account. Then download either the 5.0.0-beta installer or use the portable .zip package to get a brand new default installation of the 5.0.0-beta that will of course be isolated from your usual user account.
    Using a USB memory stick, you can copy your normal user 4.x configuration files and resources folder into the new user account so that you can start running 5.0.0-beta with everything as you’re used to.

2. Or - from your normal user account, make a backup copy of the configuration files and the resources folder. Then download and use the 5.0.0-beta portable .zip package. This will convert your 4.x resources into the 5.0.0 database storage method. Then you can try it to see how it all feels.
    If you want to go back to using 4.x as it used to be, you can delete the configuration files and the resources folder and replace them with the previously made backups to run old style 4.x.

3 Likes

Thanks for your detailed explanation, I’ll do the new user account option.

1 Like

You can also run the version of Krita to be tested, after you have created a new user account, from your standard user account. If you use the command “runas /user:NEW-USERNAME” with a shortcut, or start the shortcut to the Krita installation of the new account each time by right clicking on the shortcut and selecting the menu item “Run as different user…”, where you then enter the name and password of the new account each time.
For this I have set up shortcuts that pass this command as a parameter when starting Krita in a different users context. If you set up a parameter chain consisting of “runas” and “savecred”, you only have to enter the user password for the new account once when starting Krita for the first time via this shortcut and can then start this second Krita, like any other software, simply by clicking or double-clicking on this shortcut (depending on where you place the shortcut).

Assumed you unpack the content of the root folder of the ZIP file to “C:\Krita-New” (i.e. the folders: “python, bin, lib, share” and the three shortcuts
“krita.lnk, krita-animation.lnk, krita-minimal.lnk”), then the customized command for the line called “Target” of the shortcut to be created would look like this:

runas /user:NEW-USERNAME /savecred “C:\Krita-New\bin\krita.exe”

where you replace >> NEW-USERNAME << with your new username. In my case, it could say Michelist, for example.
If you decide to set it up this way, I recommend that you give your main user account unrestricted read and write permissions in the new user account. Also, you should enable the display of hidden folders and files in the new account, that makes things easier.
If you are unsure search the internet for “runas /user: savecred”, there are countless descriptions about it.

Michelist

You can run several Kritaversions at the same time without any problems - if you have enough memory and a decent processor. Here are 7 Krita instances running at the same time:
(Versions 3.3.3.; 4.4.8 German; 4.4.8 English; 5.0.0-beta1; 5.0.0-beta1 git bce9b2d; 5.1.0-prealpha git 36ab08a; 5.1.0-prealpha git100a2dc)

###################################################

Add / Edit: Unfortunately it is not possible to import / paste files by drag and drop into programs running under a different username. You have to use Krita’s “open dialog” to select files to be edited from within Krita. I can live with this limitation.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice, that is a great tip!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.