Why can't I access the site?!

I use a browser called SeaMonkey. It is based on Firefox. SeaMonkey is the “descendant” of the original Mozilla. I’ve been using this browser for many, many years. Until just the other day, I’ve been able to use this site with it on my Windows 10 computer. Today, all of a sudden, I get this message…

So why did they do this? :rage::rage:
I HATE Firefox and hate Chrome. I really hate how their interface looks and works. :-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2:

So why am locked out of Krit-artists because a browser sniffer was put on the server when it’s really not needed? All it does is promote certain brands of browsers. :-1:t2:

By the way, my browser is updated and has the capacity to render this site nicely…

P.S. I had to use my phone to post this.

So… you also don’t use Edge?

You could also try other browsers such as Opera GX or Brave.

I use Edge all the time, it’s not a bad program.

2 Likes

I only use Opera on my phone.
Like I’ve said, I’ve been using this browser for years and don’t want to be forced to switch just to be able to view a site that I’ve been able to view for many months.
P.S. I also hate Edge, it tried to take over my husband’s computer. He managed to uninstall it after much “fighting” with the OS.

1 Like

Well, I actually have a really good solution for that.

With Microsoft Edge, you can actually use KA as an installed app without having to use Edge all the time.

I do that with Opera on my tablet. Not interested in doing that on the computer.

Hi

I think you overreact a little bit…

krita-artist use Discourse software to manage the forum.
So, I don’t krita-artists administrator have put a “browser sniffer”, but that’s something from Discourse himself.

Looking on Discourse official website:

Your browser is not supported.

The reason why site is “blocked” is probably because, as the browser is not recognized, there’s some functinnalities of forum that won’t work…
And then Discourse block access

For me, you should better go on Discourse forum to ask the question about SeaMonkey rather than here :slight_smile:

Grum999

3 Likes

That was a smart move there. :+1:

Well I looked up how to switch user agent strings and did that.

SeaMonkey is now telling Discourse that it is Firefox and the site is working just fine.
Browser sniffers are just not necessary. :-1:t2:

2 Likes

Note: a solution is, if your browser allows it, is to force user agent to make believe the server you’re using firefox or any other supported browser

In Firefox to change user agent string:

My current user agent string:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0

Grum999

2 Likes

I’ve posted at the same time :sweat_smile:

Grum999

1 Like

:grin:
I found this site:

I’ve gone through this during the “Browser Wars” and thought that having to do this was over. :unamused:

2 Likes

Yes and No

All browsers do not support HTML5, CSS3 and javascript functionalities at the same level.
User agent allows, on server side, to determinate if browser can or not support website.

Example
Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc

You can see that browsers doesn’t have the same level to interpret/render a page, not all norms are implemented yet.

That’s why some website, to ensure that user will be able to use the website without any problem, prefer to block access and require a supported browser rather letting user browsing the site.

After, there’s so many alternative browser that start to be difficult to determinate what the browser support or not and main browser only are checked, even if most of browsers use chromium as web engine (Safari, Opera, Chrome, Edge, …) they don’t use exactly the same version of web engine…

Grum999

1 Like

Browser sniffers are not a thing. Every browser (every client in fact) sends it’s own user agent because that’s part of the web specifications. You make it sound like there’s a software forcefully spying on you.

1 Like

Browser sniffers was what the code was referred to “back in the day”. Many had complained about that on the Mozillazine forums.

It’s not forcefully spying, I know. It’s just so annoying that for many months, I was able to use this site just fine with the browser I preferred and then all of a sudden, I’m locked out.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this thread! I do have Firefox, but an older version (because… reasons), and ran into that block the other day. This is currently the only site I frequent, where that happened.

Now back in business - thanks again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@dreamkeeper you’re welcome! I hoped that it could be useful to some others.
I know I didn’t word things nicely, but I was just annoyed. :pensive:

I felt the same way, just didn’t have a way to post, other than installing another browser or updating - and potentionally having issues like in the past…

Imho the Discourse folks should really change that policy - it’s really annoying and happened on no other site so far.

1 Like

@dreamkeeper I agree!!

I’ve just downloaded SeaMonkey to check… :slight_smile:

Default user agent string:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.13
→ Don’t “work”

Changed
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/88.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.13
→ Don’t “work”
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/89.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.13
→ Work

So change has been introduced to check Firefox version 89.

Sincerely, it’s not “a policy”
As I explained, all browsers doesn’t have the same implementation of usual HTML/CSS/JS
And browser version check are designed to ensure that you use a browser that will be able to handle properly the forum functionalities.

Here you can find why this check has been introduced:

It’s a choice of developers not because they want to force you to use a branded browser, but because they consider a known bug in Firefox prior to version 89 is problematic for Discourse functionality and they prefer to ask people to use a version of Firefox (and then all derivated borwser) for which the bug has been fixed rather than trying to develop a workaround to specific version of buggy browsers

I’ve tested on my side…
I forced SeaMonkey to tell it’s based on Firefox 89 instead of Firefox 68
I confirm text editor doesn’t work properly:

Grum999

3 Likes

Just for fun

hmmm

I wonder if this will work…

hmm http...hmm

Ok, why did they not say so when they blocked access to the site for other browsers then?

(code used to produce the formatted text. Screenshot uploaded from Android phone.)