I use a browser called SeaMonkey. It is based on Firefox. SeaMonkey is the “descendant” of the original Mozilla. I’ve been using this browser for many, many years. Until just the other day, I’ve been able to use this site with it on my Windows 10 computer. Today, all of a sudden, I get this message…
I only use Opera on my phone.
Like I’ve said, I’ve been using this browser for years and don’t want to be forced to switch just to be able to view a site that I’ve been able to view for many months.
P.S. I also hate Edge, it tried to take over my husband’s computer. He managed to uninstall it after much “fighting” with the OS.
You can see that browsers doesn’t have the same level to interpret/render a page, not all norms are implemented yet.
That’s why some website, to ensure that user will be able to use the website without any problem, prefer to block access and require a supported browser rather letting user browsing the site.
After, there’s so many alternative browser that start to be difficult to determinate what the browser support or not and main browser only are checked, even if most of browsers use chromium as web engine (Safari, Opera, Chrome, Edge, …) they don’t use exactly the same version of web engine…
Browser sniffers are not a thing. Every browser (every client in fact) sends it’s own user agent because that’s part of the web specifications. You make it sound like there’s a software forcefully spying on you.
Default user agent string: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.13
→ Don’t “work”
Changed Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/88.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.13
→ Don’t “work” Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/89.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.13
So change has been introduced to check Firefox version 89.
Sincerely, it’s not “a policy”
As I explained, all browsers doesn’t have the same implementation of usual HTML/CSS/JS
And browser version check are designed to ensure that you use a browser that will be able to handle properly the forum functionalities.
Here you can find why this check has been introduced:
It’s a choice of developers not because they want to force you to use a branded browser, but because they consider a known bug in Firefox prior to version 89 is problematic for Discourse functionality and they prefer to ask people to use a version of Firefox (and then all derivated borwser) for which the bug has been fixed rather than trying to develop a workaround to specific version of buggy browsers
I’ve tested on my side…
I forced SeaMonkey to tell it’s based on Firefox 89 instead of Firefox 68
I confirm text editor doesn’t work properly: