Creating custom raster image library via dockers

I was going through @LineDancer 's recent post and I found the discussions very interesting.

Such an asset library can be really very useful while making art for comics.
As mentioned by @Deevad and @Michelist , photobash plugin and vector libraries can be nice alternative for an image asset library.

But the problem I face in case of photobash that I have to keep changing folders and vector library supports vector forms only. In both cases,it is hard to save a custom drawn raster image directly via the dockers.Yet there is great potential in both of these image libraries.

I have used Medibang pro and there is an easy option available to save and maintain a custom image asset library.
Medibang pro also got very limited vector options( panel,text and asset library only).
I am not even sure if that is vector or more like a smart object thing. So as a safe option, MBP can be termed as a raster based art software only.

The main advantage is,in MBP,one can directly save a custom raster image as an asset image very easily via it’s in built docker.That docker operates quite identically like Krita’s vector library.

This small video may help to understand what I was talking about.

Now my target is to find a way similar to this inside Krita.
So if I am missing a trick inside krita,to achieve similar results displayed in this video,please let me know.
It can really help to make comics little faster.

4 Likes

This what you looking for?

Thanks @tachiko ,but I have already used photobash.
It has a very good drag and drop image option on separate layers.
but it has no direct option to save custom art from canvas and few other important options I am looking for.

Well if photobash did not work you can try imagine board as an alternative. Is a tad different but has the same principles.

Supports pixel and vector and is able to save images with drag and drop from outside krita into the referenced folder. I do think Photobash and imagine are both able to solve the issue as they make a good connection to the drive easy.

However you said you said changing folders alot is the issue. What do you mean by it and what had you have in mind to try and solve it?

To save from canvas you just need to save into the folder to auto detect it, but I guess that is just a quality of life thing. I don’t see people saving into a reference folder with the canvas.

What are the other stuff?

Thanks @EyeOdin ,for providing a detailed insight.
I am not very sound with technical stuff,so I will try my best to provide a reasonable answer.

1. As far I checked,in MBP, my custom art gets saved ( while saving via material docker) as an item/material inside original config folder.
    Just like krita saves brush tips and other stuffs in default root folders.
    If I want to explain it more clearly,then the vector library docker inside krita can be a very good example.It loads,mainly from the root folders and I can pick from the list available in the docker.

2. As far I have understood,MBP saves the custom images as png.

but whenever I am dragging them from the docker,they start to behave and operate like vector shapes on same layer.
Almost identical like vector library drag and drop behaves in krita.
In this way ,I can avoid the pain of having too many layers and can arrange everything from even 1 layer only !

1. So I am looking for a way to combine the ease of photobash/imagine board with the vector capabilities of vector library. Where I can save raster drawings in raster friendly formats inside krita root folder ,but can be partially editable like vector mode (as tried in the video).
    …and I want to do that by using only a single docker.

I hope my explanations are not complicated :slight_smile: !

And why don’t you save the images you want to insert as brush tips? If you name the brush tips according to a freely selectable scheme, then you can have a library of raster images available in the brush editor. For this you reserve a pixel engine preset with which you select the desired image after calling the editor with F5 and place it as desired. I would design the naming for example like this, but you are free in the scheme you want to use:

1. Signature 1
1. Signature 2
1. Signature 3
2. Car 1
2. Car 2
2. Car 3 
and so on

And if you like, you put your selection into a bundle, this way you can enable or disable it anytime you like.

Michelist

Thanks @Michelist ,that can be a option,but can get complicated when the list gets larger.
The other thing is they will not be easily editable from a single layer in the manner of vector mode.

If it has to be editable like vector-graphics, you’ll need vector-graphics, at least I know no other way in Krita, and then vector-libraries seem to be the best option Krita has to offer right now.
Unless you have an idea how to solve this with a plugin. You would then “only” have to program that. :upside_down_face:

Well, at the moment we can only offer you ways to go / possible solutions on already existing functions of Krita, everything that goes beyond existing capabilities will need the corresponding initiative… :wink:
You can call it the search for the best workaround?!

I’m afraid if you need it soon you’ll have to do it yourself, if it has time you can go the route of a feature request and have to hope it gets picked up and implemented in Krita or a plugin in a timely manner.

Michelist

Thanks for the feedback, @Michelist.
I was looking for this option,mainly for maintaining a temporary image library for different project.
Where I can simply drag & drop few pre-drawn elements directly on canvas to create some variations and also save some valuable time.
So far,MBP is providing me very easy and simple solution in that department,along with few other interesting options. That’s why in most cases ,I am still using MBP for black and white comic works.
So I am in no hurry :smiley: !
But as Krita has got more advanced assisting tools like colorize mask,(which is probably the best comics colouring tool currently available in the market,be it paid or free ! ),I wanted to shift my work to a single software rather than keep jumping from one to another.

There can be a 50 % workaround,if in future existing plug-ins like photobash or imagine board start to provide an option to save transparent png from canvas,via their dedicated docker.
Later the saved transparent png can be used as a material via drag and drop.
Maybe vector mode problem will not get solved,but at least they can be dragged on separate layers to create more detail and variation.

My experience is that photobash doesn’t even support transparent png .
So I have to wait and see if future updates can improve the situation.

Till then will have to keep juggling with these two favorite softwares of mine :sweat_smile: !!

Look here.

Thanks @Guerreiro64 ,I will check it out.
Though I am looking for a way to do it inside krita only,rather than using any other software.

1 Like

Your explanation is quite convoluted yes.

So let’s see for each point:

1. If you want to use the root folder you just select it you know. The plugins just need a path as the are folder agnostic by design unlike the vector library which I think is a fault. This enters in conflict with you saying that you change folders alot, so using the root folder would actually be counter productive. The thing with the root folder that it is meant for Krita use right but it only lasts for a run of a os installation once you format and install a new version info there can be lost so what you should be doing is using an external drive to ignore os mishaps or updates to different versions. The plugins are agnostic for this reason so you can bring stuff in from the real source.

2. An image that acts like vector is only possible if you vectorize it. API does not do this that I know but find it weird that medibang acctually vectorized images. If you speak about the transparency you can just save the image with alpha and have that just the same. Confusing part an image cannot be vector and pixel at the same time once saved, to add either you need different code to drop them into krita correctly.

3. My opinion is that vector library is convoluted to manage and create libraries. Both plugins acctually show that the limitations of vector libraries are not necessary because they show pixel and vector alike. Inside krita or outside it is the same. As for importing vector and editing the group I have not test it with complex objects to say but vector is still vector I can say. if the thing is selecting the folder with the combo box on imagine board at least you can right click the folder icon and navigate quickly to nearby folders.

So the only thing I see that you want is really an automatic colour to alpha filter while saving, and this creates the question what colour should be alpha on your example it is white. Because the rest is just selecting the root folder as active folder and saving with the alpha background, which are normal krita stuff and by passes the first point too.

Also you should not be editing kritas resources while it is running so importing is better.

I need to check but I believe it does. I have used alpha maps with it.

So, guys:I did a test now, with a mine character. I exported it as a png file with a transparent background and opened it in Inkscape 1.2.1. With the entire drawing selected, I went to Path > Trace bitmap. I chose the "Multicolor" option, with “Colors” as Detection mode and another, as indicated by the red arrows. Finally, I clicked “Apply”:

I dragged the vector drawing to the left. Since it’s composed of multiple colors, Inkscape has grouped the vectors. You must ungroup them by clicking on the Ungroup button.

Just click that button, but don’t deselect it! go to Edit > Cut. Then, in the layers docker, right-click and choose the “Delete Layer” option. The file must not contain any layers!

Go to Edit > Paste. The vectors will be visible again, just drag them all together onto the page. Go to File > Save As. Save the file in Plain SVG format (very important!). Close Inkscape and don’t save anything else.

Then you can import these vectors into Krita. It’s even possible to change the colors (see the scarf and the character’s pupils) Certain colors I couldn’t change, like the light tones on the scarf… maybe because of my lack of experience.

1 Like

As I said,I am very weak at technical part…so sorry about creating the unwanted confusion :slight_smile: !

1. What I tried to say is that having a default path for saving my temporary custom images can be helpful for me. Like I can access them via defult resource folder easily.
    Photobash plug in is folder dependant,because it is an image viewer with advanced drag & drop with resizing option.So even if it had any image saving option from canvas,probably it would save it in the last opened folder rather than in default resource path of krita.
    For me that’s a problem,because I am not very good at remembering things…from that point I have mentioned about the folder thing,it was more like an hypothetical view ,nothing else.
    I haven’t used your plug in yet,so I don’t know how it works.,but recently started using your Pigment O plug in and loved the simple but very important K lock option .

2. and 3) I am also aware that an image can’t be pixel and vector at the same time and that’s why I am getting more confused.
    MBP has no dedicated vector layer option,though if a panel box or text is created on a layer,it starts to behave like a vector layer to some extent. Now when I am drawing in pure raster layer with pixels and trying to save it as a element/material,I have to do it via that default material docker.
    it is saving the art as transparent /non-transparent (as per choice) png in default path.so upto this part everything is happening as per “pixel” logic.
    but the moment I am dragging that saved image “symbol” again and again from the docker on a single layer,it keeps copying itself on the same layer more like vector symbol copies,where I can edit each of them separately.
    That’s why I am calling them vector,but probably they can be something like Photoshop smart objects,which can mimmic vectors to some extent. So I am not sure …but it helps a lot !!

I will try out the imagine board soon and see if I can find some way to use it for my cause.

1 Like

For me it’s not showing.
I will check tomorrow ,if I am using the latest version or the old one.

I am not sure if this method will help me directly @Guerreiro64,but it’s a very nice and detailed tutorial for another different approach :smiley: !!
Generally I don’t use vector based softwares,but I will surely try this out !
Thanks a lot for sharing .

OK! :slight_smile: Perhaps my method works better if I export an image containing only two colors, exactly like the first example you posted: black for the outline and white for the inner color.

So, if you need to change the color of two elements, it’s simpler and faster. Let’s wait for another tip… :slight_smile:

Initially I am looking for black and white options.
So let me learn about that first,because I am not very good with vectors :stuck_out_tongue: !

1 Like