Traditional/Painter's Color wheel?

I am doing some classes on color harmony, and they all use traditional color wheels, where red and green are on opposite sites. Krita’s color wheel looks different though (photographer’s color wheel).

Is there a way to switch it?
Thanks!

Hi Shackman

Welcome to the Krita community.

I think this might be what you’re looking for:

Greetings
Jeremiah

That still shows my the ‘standard color wheel’, where red is opposite of cyan.
I’m playing around with color spaces, hoping to get lucky lol.
I should probably mention I’m using Krita 5 pre alpha, and unfortunately that deleted my standard Krita.

But thanks anyway, I didn’t even know about that tool and it looks really useful.

Did you use the .exe installer for the 5.0.0 prealpha?
If so then yes, it would replace your existing 4.4.3 installation with 5.0.0.

You can uninstall 5.0.0, install 4.4.3 and then only use the portable .zip package for the 5.0.0 prealpha. That will not affect any existing installation.

The thing is that in digital art colors work quite different than in traditional painting.

On the traditional color wheel you have red, blue and yellow as base colors and mix everything else from with them i.e. blue and yellow give green. In digital art you primary colors are red, green and blue and mixing colors gives different results. That’s why our color wheel looks a bit different, if that’s what you mean.

Krita doesn’t have neither RYB color wheel, nor pigment mixing (which you’d need too, if you expect blue and yellow to create green). The RYB color wheel might be in Pigment.O plugin: Pigment.O plugin but I don’t know for sure.

The pigment mixing is implemented in an open source and free program called MyPaint, you can check it out. It’s much simpler than Krita but it has its advantages.

If/when the libmypaint library which we use for MyPaint brushes include pigment mixing, we might get it in Krita too. But for now, it’s not there yet.

1 Like

Wow this community is fast to help out, thank you all!

I kinda understand the difference between traditional and (screen) digital colors, but when it comes to color harmony every tutorial I’ve seen uses the traditional color wheel. From what I understand it is kinda stretched, but it seems to work for the human eye/mind.
So when I want to paint a complementary color scheme and choose red as one color, the other one should be green.
Would be cool to have that color wheel in Krita for picking colors.

1 Like

Color theory doesn’t change much switching to digital but blending/mixing of course. It takes some time to get used to but after a bit of practice both systems feel as natural as breathing.

You could try setting the color wheel’s color space to CMYK while keeping the document in RGB but I’m not sure if that actually changes the positions of the colors. It also doesn’t change how colors mix on the canvas which of course is much different in traditional art.

@tiar
Pigmento does have CMY and RYB mode for the wheels HUE (hue ring) and GAM (gamut mask). Not to mention RYB sliders and a mixer. It also does colour harmony in both modes, also colour harmonies are independant of any panel.

The controls are a bit original because of it but I think they make sense in the end. It was made pondering alot of color harmony tutorials of traditional artists and current colour wheels in the digital world with colour harmonies.

1 Like