Useful Krita features

Hellow people, I have been using Krita since Christmas 2021 (at first, I was not a big fan of digital art as I always did traditional art) and I am a big fan of the software. I know some basic information about using the software (navigation, zoom in/out, layers, color selector, color palettes etc.) however I am looking to see if there are any other useful features that makes the entire process more fun/easier as I recently found out about the reference image tool (great tool if you never found or used it).

Edit: thanks everyone for the information, to elaborate on some information how I work. I use layers for a sketch, lineart, basic colors than shading. I also use references of animals and people often throughout the process. One of the features I don’t use often is the popup pallete (I know alot of people like it, I find it not working for me) but I do use the “Import Reasources” feature (I have a bunch of custom brushes including Rakurri’s brushes), the Palette docker (im in the process of making palettes based on copic marker colors) and the move/resize/transform tool pretty often.

1 Like

It’s always hard to tell what is useful for someone else since every artist has their own workflow and style. Naturally some useful things have no use for others while generally every feature in Krita has a use. It’s also hard to answer questions like this without really knowing what your needs and issues are we can only guess and mention random things.

Maybe this thread mentions some features you didn’t know about and are useful to you.

1 Like

For the 5.0 release, I made a short video about the krita features I personally use in everyday work:

Some of them are obvious, some quite hidden - basically those are the things I would be looking for while learning the app.

7 Likes

I have some of my favourite tricks as a series of small videos and plan to post more of them here :grin:

6 Likes

i find this plugin pretty essential:
I made an extension that enables you to assign a keyboard shortcut to toggle the visibility of a reference layer - Develop / Plugins Development - Krita Artists (krita-artists.org)

1 Like

Hey @Rakurri, never expected you to be here, big fan of your brush packs. Thanks for the video.

2 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate that, makes me very happy to hear that you like my brushes :heart::grin:
Happy to share it!

Oh, your brushes are fantastic, i get them today and playing/painting around with them :heart_eyes:
And i look all your videos, really amazing for beginners, love it so much.

1 Like

Thanks for that video @wojtryb, it really breaks down and shows the most basic features I some how missed or never though of. I’ll try many of those features/shortcuts you mentioned in your video.

1 Like

@fishyman_908 I made a palette based on Copic marker colours in Photoshop a couple of years ago. Copic used to be licensed by Sketchbook and Sketchbook pro while the software was still under the Autodesk umbrella (the Copic library is discontinued if you download the software nowadays). What I did is convert the RGB swatches in Sketchbook to a .aco file (proprietary Adobe swatch format). The results were quite different from the swatches made by people using real Copic markers for obvious reasons. To me the tonal differences really captured the experience of using actual Copic markers. Not to mention, these are the colours that were created by/ in tandem with Copic.

E: I can provide you with the screenshots of the swatches and the colours they are associated with (incl. the marker names).

You might be able to run the entire swatch image (2nd) through an automated swatch/ palette convertor and get rid of the background one (perhaps with some cropping of the image to get rid of the text “Copic 358 colours” and menu bar).

Unfortunately, Krita cannot open .aco files, I don’t know whether there is any intermediate file format/ converter that you could use to use my files. If any of you happen to know of any, let me know and I’ll upload the files for y’all.

So if you really want to convert ACO…
There is an ACO2HTML converter, the program is under GPL, here you can find the source code in ANSI C to compile it yourself, Apple users can find a compiled version of it here.
If I remember correctly, then there are also several online converters for the ACO format, I think you can find them with the search engine of your choice.

Michelist

Just read the docs on supported swatch files, Krita can import .aco.
I’ve added my files in this thread, have fun!

Thank you for the palettes @Hologram, I just been messing with them, they are organized in a better manner than the one I am working on now (Im organizing them based on the actual physical sets, not by color groups/families/what ever Too calls them). Quick question, did you create/upload the palettes here on devientart?

@fishyman_908 no, those aren’t mine. I have only just uploaded mine yesterday on krita-artists. Sets such as that one look rather different than the actual markers.

Thanks @Hologram, I saw that copic marker palette and though it was yours. Out of the copic marker palettes I could find, yours are organized better than mine (color family/group/what the term Too uses rather than the physical sets themselves) and your palette was the only one found the colors were created by/in tandem with Too Corporation (manufacturer of Copic Markers).

1 Like