Monthly Art Contest - October 2021 - Topic - "Sci-fi meets Fantasy" - 🗳 Voting has ended

Hello Krita artists.

So we completed last month’s contest and the winner @jakedrake has given us a new topic for this month. So let us start the next contest.

Monthly Art Contest - October 2021

Topic - Sci-fi meets Fantasy

Challenge - “use only the RGBA brush-presets”

Contest Description by Jakedrake

The idea to combine typical sci-fi things together with typical fantasy elements to create new interesting landscapes and objects.

Some clarification about the RGBA brush challenge.
Krita 4 has RGBA brushes, you can choose these brushes by using the RGBA tag in the brush preset docker.

If you don’t know how to make RGBA brushes or don’t know any other rgba brush packs, please use only these brushes and eraser if you need, no other brush is allowed, no blur no wet brush nothing. Giving concession takes away the meaning of the challenge.

The topic changes every month. Your submission should be somehow related to the topic. And if possible please add a few lines explaining your idea and image. Each topic will accompany a challenge to make it more interesting. Artists are advised to follow the challenge rules. Artwork should be done in Krita.

You can post maximum 3 Entries and also edit the entries until the deadline. Reply to this post in this thread. The submission will be open until 2021-10-25T00:00:00Z.

We will hold a poll at the end on 2021-10-26T00:00:00Z till 2021-10-29T00:00:00Z . The artwork with most number of votes will be the winner.

The winner be featured on this website and the winner will have the privilege to choose the topic and the challenge for the next month! If the winner is not available or reachable then the 1st runner up will be asked to provide the topic and challenge

In order to have the image featured the entries need to be safe for work so please avoid any NSFW or controversial content. The moderators can use their discretion to disqualify the image from the contest with prior notice. Of course the artist will be given chance to submit alternate image or change it.

Also please spread the word about this contest by posting your artwork on various social media websites with a hashtag - #kritachallenge , if possible with a link to the forum post.

I hope we will enjoy this exercise so let us begin.

P.S. Note we can change the rules based on the feedback on this contest and modify the format. Any suggestions are welcome. We can make a new topic in the #site-feedback category for it. Please post only artworks and discussion related to them in this thread.

If you have any doubts or question please post your questions in the dedicated thread here → Doubts and clarification about the October 2021 monthly contest

7 Likes

21 posts were merged into an existing topic: Doubts and clarification about the October 2021 monthly contest

Hi, I have painted this robot-dragon (the head is a of a dragon the body is a of a robot). I have used only the rgba brushes RGBA_01_Thick_dry and the RGBA_02_thick_paint and the eraser. I have used an Atmosphere with accent gamut mask.

14 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

thank you very much!!

Here’s my entry, ‘Angel with a Ray Gun’.

I hadn’t used the RGBA brushes before, so this was a real struggle for me to paint I’m sorry to say…

8 Likes

Here is my entry. I did not know which one was the right place to post it, so I am posting it here, and as a topic under “contest”. Let me know if otherwise. Much appreciated!!

9 Likes

It’s nice, but I don’t quite see which parts are scifi and which are fantasy?

Check the backstory in the artwork category. I have posted there too.

My entry for this month contest.
This was a really good challenge, since I never dare to made a entire piece only using RGBA brushes. Also, it was a good motivation for me to revisit and tweak the RGBA brushes I made for Krita 5.

I used 4 brushes: m) RGBA 04 Impasto and m) RGBA 06 Rock for the background. The main subject / foreground I used my 2 custom brushes, Wet Bristles RGBA Custom and Wet Bristles RGBA Custom 2.

Offtopic: Initially I shared these two brushes in the topic: RGBA Smudge brushes - a sharing thread. However in this painting I changed them a little (but kept the brushtips), so they’re like a Version 2. If someone else want to test them just let me know and I post the .kpp files.

For Krita 4

It happen that I didn’t consider people that are still using Krita 4, and want to test the brushes I made. Thanks @CrazyCatBird for letting me know of this case.
At the moment I will only make a Krita 4 version of the brush Wet Bristles RGBA Custom, because I consider the better of the 2.

Here is a blundle with both the Preset (.kpp) and the Brushtip (.png): Krita 4 Bundle

Bellow a screenshot of what this brush looks like in a closeup.

Cheers.

7 Likes

I’m interested in the version 2 of your brushes. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks for the interest. Here the Brushes.
Wet Bristles RGBA 01 V2
Wet Bristles RGBA 02 V2

Cheers

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

My entry for this month contest.
Guiding a Flying Orca.

Brushes used:
wojtryb6 N07 roll impasto and RGBA 02 Thickpaint

wojtryb6 N07 roll impasto was used for the undersketch , the building foundation and the general layout
RGBA 02 Thickpaint was used for the rest including the glows on normal brush blend mode.

I did put a filter layer for a light blur, a texture layer, and few layer with color dodge or overlay mode - all still painted using the same RGBA 02 Thickpaint.

For starter I went with this wanting to draw smoke/ cloud puffs and decided to commit in a style i use in a poster before [cute toonish but not hard edge] . I been watching a few to many orcas in my youtube when i started and just thought flying whale ? flying orca? hover boards.

So this is the image i went - a too high up in the sky city - right in the orca crossing and some guides deck in protective gears [yellow one] using magic to help orcas cross safely.

8 Likes

So it’s robots and dragons… I used the impasto brushes for the background and terrain block-out, and the thickpaint for everything else. I might edit it to add details later.

9 Likes

My entry for this contest.

I decided to work from darkness to light for dramatic effect.
At first I perceived only being able to use RGBA brushes as quite a limit, but in the end it was actually really nice.
I’m very accustomed to using blending tools so I had to make a bit of a switch there.
I used the RGBA brush set by Ramon Miranda alone, and used a limited pallette (split complimentary) as well as a textured canvas to further enhance the painterly effect.

9 Likes

Here’s mine. I guess I wasn’t the only one who figured dragons = fantasy… I don’t think I did exactly what the original task was, since I didn’t combine fantasy and scifi elements so much as I just used both in one image.

Anyway, the challenge was a great idea! I hadn’t really done anything with the RGBA brushes before, and I’m sold now! I do have to say that doing this with only RGBA brushes was a bit painful at times, trying to lay down a solid colour with those can be pretty hard, depending on the shade. I did learn to control them more, and definitely the overall experience was very positive. I mostly used @wojtryb’s roller brush, slightly modified, and the RGBA_01_thick_dry brush, again slightly modified to get it to put down a colour that is closer to what is picked.

Really fun, the roller brush turned out to be great for creating a lot of happy mistakes, once I got to grips with it.

I saved a few intermediate steps. I guess the summary feature doesn’t work for images…

25 Likes

That is an awesome painting! It makes me want to see more of the story of ‘astronaut crash landed on dragon planet’.

2 Likes