Set of Watercolor Brushes

Here is Gumroad link to download free set of watercolor brushes. Soon I will show some examples how they work.

15 Likes

These look nice, I look forward to testing them out! :grin:
You might want to fix the link though! :hushed:

1 Like

Fixed!

1 Like

This looks interesting. I am going to try them. And thanks for sharing them.

4 Likes

Great! Im working also on some additional blending brushes for this set, to have more possibility for color mixing. Its quite big challenge to find something which has natural texture, something not to blurry and not too ornamental.
I also checked your Digital Atelier, I like very much charcoal brushes, and experimental oil (one color), they have great expression.

3 Likes

Thanks Pesi now i am making a big update for the people who purchased the pack with better watercolors too.

2 Likes

Thats cool! Looks tasty!

1 Like

Thanks i know how difficult is to create watercolor brushes really usables. Now we Krita artist community need more artwork done with all these brushes. What do you think about this?
Well maybe tomorrow more inspiration. I have tweaked on of your brushes also; if you are interested let me know. And if anybody tweaks a brush for mine please let me know. We as comnunity can grow much more this way :wink:

2 Likes

Could be good to exchange some experience on brush creation in one moment. I think now I really need to test my brushes on real artwork to know more what I like in them what not. Hope for someones feedback also.

2 Likes

Its interesting how these brushes will work on android version of Krita (Fdroid soon probably) , on slower machines…

Brushes in action - Peg Leg Sam - painted from photo

5 Likes

I liked the look of these brushes and decided to try them out on something. I’m not a watercolorist but thought I could use them in my own ham-fisted illustrations. Here’s a quick test where I ended up combining the watercolors with the original art, and really like the added organic feel. I can see myself using these brushes on future work, thanks for the share.

1 Like

Thanks djwaterman for this examples. Its inspirational.
Im continuing experiments with watercolor/ink brushes and here is test of new brush which Im preparing - more like chinese one.

4 Likes

RamonM - do you think new options coming for smudge brushes would help in watercolor effects or we still need new kind of brush engine for better mixing watercolor?

Do you mean how the blending appears on the layer or what the created colors are? For example that yellow and blue doesn’t create a green? If the first one… that might be hard; if the second one… that might be hard as well :stuck_out_tongue: but for different reasons.

To have an example, comparing color smudging with real watercolor mixing.

As you can see digital mixed colors are much less saturated than the basic ones.
Another thing are textures inside brush stroke. Its hard to keep them after smudging (even in dull mode which is better in this thing). Less spacing in brush tip settings also helps but not enough I think.

I think its connected with the way how color/pigment is cumulating in real colors. When you smudge watercolor with water you can see gradient from very dark tones to very vivid and saturated light tones.

Looks like both issues you have mentioned :smiley:

2 Likes

For colors, you need to check gamma and linear painting: https://docs.krita.org/en/general_concepts/colors/linear_and_gamma.html

Note that you should be using at least 16bit float to get good linear painting and that it will behave a bit differently (for example you’ll have trouble to mix dark into a light color but it will be super easy the other way around). And 16bit float is not optimized, only 32bit float, so you may want to check by yourself which one is faster for you. (Of course 32bit float images will be 2x bigger than 16bit float).

And for “real” watercolors, check out Rebelle :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Ahaa! This explains something.
Rebelle is too fancy for me :slight_smile: , Im starting to watch drops instead of paint :smiley:

I did another try, smudged two colors and after I did another smudge on top of it in “Increase Saturation” mode.

It give nice effects. Is there possible mode which paints color and increases its saturation in the same time? Or maybe in the far far future any possibility to add option of correcting/increasing saturation in smudge engine?

3 Likes

I am reading the comments and i find them really interesting. I will share also my tricks soon. :blush:

Upper part of the head is interesting, it really looks watercolor or ink diluted. Good job