Timer Watch

Time Watch is a small time management tool.

Its purpose is to :

• Show current time (Clock)
  • Track amount of time spent working (Stopwatch)
  • Display progress bar of time spent working towards time goal (Progress Bar)
  • General Information about the document and time spent on it.

Link:
https://github.com/EyeOdin/timer_watch

Preview:

17 Likes

Is it possible to take into account only the “time of active use” of the program? Or just automatically stopping the timer when the user is “idle”?

This is already in Krita: Go to File -> Document Information, it will tell you the summarized time spent on this document (of course you need to save in .kra for it to work, otherwise it will be reset to 0 every time; and working with .kra files is better anyway).

2 Likes

I know about the timer attached to the file. I was looking for a similar stopwatch in the program, because I wanted to see this “time data” constantly, and not in a hidden menu. The plugin that is offered in this topic looks exactly as I imagined, and I would like to see in it just this missing function from “Document Information” or its equivalent, it would be great.
p.s. I apologize for this machine translation)

3 Likes

Sounds lovely, excited to try it! :grin: I like that it’s in a docker and that it has a lot of nice features other than just counting the time spent, like the progress bar! :+1: The Progress bar sounds like something I would like to use

I did not even know this option existed, but the use seems a bit different. it seems to read the total time spent on a piece and I want to know when I need to stop to go and eat or not cheat myself from working too little. I think I could make a new tab to read that value too but odds are that value is not open in the API yet, but if i can I will try and add the link to it too sounds like a good idea actually.

4 Likes

well I updated the plugin to the suggestion and now it has a new tab called “info” that displays general information about the active document.

The initial link has been updated so just use that.

values worth noting are :

• Date Delta - how long was the document created
  • Active Time - how much time was spent editing the file since creation or last reset.

Note: I tested it out with several files but if a bug pops up just send me a Personal Message with the error message so I can correct it. thanks in advance.

4 Likes

I think @I9S submitted a MR to add the plugin script by blender guys into the resources page of krita documentation. I think you should also send an Merge Request to add yours to the list too.
@tiar has given a nice introduction about it in this post - Blender Institute developed a Krita script!

2 Likes

Thanks! this is what I need!
I noticed that the minute counter shows the value “zero” and it is unchanged.
From the screenshot

you can see that from 94 335s where 1d 2h 0m 15s(93 615s) are not shown 12m (720s)
Simply, the minutes value is not displayed in the specified area.
I checked on several files, including the newly created one.
Can someone else check this plugin for themselves? Maybe I did something wrong.

1 Like

oopseys hehe. I wrote “month” instead of “minute” there for some odd reason. that is why it was always zero on the read. thank you for pointing it out @Andreich_DMBL.
As a side note it is worth noting that the “work” value only updates upon saving.

I did not even think about that yet. I will have to take a look into it to see how it is done.

2 Likes

I’m kind of neutral as to the usefulness of these things.
A lot of time when I’m programming or painting I don’t even bother with them.
Why? because unless they are implemented very strictly and used very strictly, then results can actually vary because of real-world circumstances.
Often times I get called away from keyboard(afk) for whatever reasons and might be away for hour or two.
Then sometimes you get people that ask how long something took and I really don’t have a accurate answer because maybe I was pulled away and came back.
A work environment is a bit better for these things.

Also if you got auto complete snippets in programming it really doesn’t reflect the time it would normally take to write something. The .kra timer is ok, but what if it is a workshop document already set up for a specific purpose. Maybe it has been edited 100s of times or have branches of revisions.
… so overall I’d say it might be useful for those who would take the time to stop the timer when called away or maybe if it had settings that was specific to every 10seconds after a edit.

so idunno really. I guess it all depends on the end user and if accurate results are truly important.

well I had need for it so I made it, I forget to eat loads of times because of work and this will help me go eat on time. Eating on time is cool I think even though I don’t do it.

But to answer some points.

The stopwatch is not meant to measure the time doing the work but the amount of time your in front of the screen , you can pause it anytime like normal.

As you said Krita has a internal timer that updates upon saving. On the info tab, it exposes the xml values of the *.kra of exactley that, so when you save you get the Active Time of work of that given piece (in human readable time) if the file was not reset you will have the values since creation. And it will display the name of the original creator too if possible. Worth to note that really old files don’t have the xml with the same organization so sometimes it wont load up properly or at all (but if you know where the number is you can tweak the code for it, I left the current entries that i did not use on the code so you can read from where stuff is comming inside the code and not just some random numbers out of sequence).

long story short you can see the total editing time of a piece just as you can see from document info.

2 Likes

Update: Small UI tweak

When the Docker starts, it will display the “Clock” instead of the document “Info”.
When I made this I did not know it was even possible. nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @EyeOdin, could you add another feature for your plugin? I’d ask for counting and showing elapsed time, ability to set particular amount of time, e.g. 5 or 10 minutes, just for speedpainting-alike task. :slight_smile:

The progress bar on the stopwatch does that. just set the time limit and it stops once it reaches 100%.

1 Like

Have you considered adding a Pomodoro tab? :slight_smile:
I think it’d be useful to have a timer where you could specify two intervals: one for work duration and another for break duration. You press “start” and the plugins starts counting down from (or up to) the work duration time. When the time is up, the plugin opens a dialog box prompting the user if want to start a break timer or end the drawing session. The former will start the break timer, which in turn will spawn another dialog box when the time is up.

3 Likes

Update: added a Alarm warning when active.

Well I never thought about it actually. I was taking a look into it and making a break timer seems a bit hard to work if your not inside Krita to begin with you will never see anything not to mention you would have an odd doubly clock or something… the conversation would become like how many cyles too.

As an alternative to start with, I thought in just making the break happen once every time span you set to “Start”. Just activate the “Alarm” button and once the timer reaches 100% your Done! “Time is Over” !!!

Better lift your Pen before the warning hits or you will loose that stroke too! That will teach you finishing things on TIME XD
Evil laughter as lightnning strikes on the background

3 Likes

Awesome idea, I’ve some problems,

1)The countdown continues to count after the timer set, I guess that’s a bug…
2) it seems there’s no alarm sound after touching the time limit

1. that is not a bug it works like that by design. because if you go pass your time limit set you can still see how long you worked in the end.
  2. that does not sound like a good idea. having your painting application making sounds.

For point 1, I say, understandable. Still a countdown should be a countdown. I know, scripting is very subjective

For point 2, yeah i fully agree. It’s more for convenience if the dockers aren’t visible, and I was thinking of the system beep, nothing too fancy. Usually I work full screen, so I can’t make good use of your otherwise interesting plugin