Realistic Copic marker like brushes

Although the default marker brushes aren’t bad, I still think they aren’t capturing the way Copic markers work. In reality, the Copic ink comes out wet and takes a while to dry, in the meantime, it can be mixed very easily with other colours as the ink flows. They also tend to bleed and darken as ink is drawn out by the paper as long as the marker touches it. For reference:

Check out the most recent version of the Real Copic marker brush set below. Thanks to @tachiko for helping me out with the basic brush!
https://icedrive.net/s/7PRADWB4AYBNuS95SCbGP6kjFS3V

Old post

So I have been thinking about mimicking this behaviour, which is also part of the marker brush in Sketchbook:

Sketchbook marker - Album on Imgur
To me, these MyPaint markers look the most promising for the creation of a Copic Marker brush.

The “e) Marker Plain (MyPaint)” is in Krita by default, the “SLOS 012 Flat Marker” is from Fizzyflower’s ULTIMATE MyPaint Brush Collection and then the SelinOS bundle.

So my question is: how could I enable the Airbrush property for MyPaint, since it’s not in the brush engine like in Krita’s? And how do I add flow with low speeds?

12 Likes

So the last week I have been experimenting with brushes and their settings. Just now, I have created a brush from which I want to build the Copic marker brush. Notice that it now creates a 10% opacity stroke, which is not what I am looking for. So I have a couple of questions:

1. I am having difficulties understanding the use of curves to control speed (to create the flow of ink effect). No matter what I do, pressure is takes prominence over the speed setting.

What I want is a low flow of ink with a high speed stroke and a larger flow of ink with a slow speed stroke. I already applied the airbrush effect to simulate the effect of a continuous inkflow.
    Something like this:

2. I don’t know whether this is possible atm, ideally, I would like the tip’s angle to be along the initial direction of the brush stroke. So, if I more from bottom left to the top right (at a 45 degree angle), the brush should be rotated 45 degrees. That way, I wouldn’t need to rotate the brush in the pop-up menu, neither do I need to use tilt (which I find somewhat crampy).

I do still plan to add a noise texture to make the brush more grainy overall. That’s the way the ink of a regular copic marker looks when it is absorbed by marker paper.

Here’s the WIP brush:

1 Like

For a long time (all time) the Speed scaling has been ‘not good’ and you need to draw a stroke at a very high speed to see any effect of Speed controlled variation in brush preset parameters.
This has been discussed before in various topics on the forum.

The 5.1.0-prealpha builds do have an initial fix for this where you can change the Speed scaling factor:

The lower the value of ‘Maximum Brush Speed’ then the more responsive the Speed control is to lower stroke speeds.

You could try the Nightly Build to see how well it works for you.
At first, I’d suggest that you modify something like Basic-5 Size so that its Size is controlled by only Speed and see how fast you need to draw a stroke to get it up to maximum size. Then you can get a ‘feel’ for it and proceed from there.

1 Like

Aahh, so that’s why! Been wasting so much time trying to get it right to no avail :frowning:

I intended to use this brush for the project I am working on now, so I guess that I’ll have to wait with creating my own marker brush until 5.1 hits Beta at least. But good to know it’s in the works.

By the way, shouldn’t there be improvements to the tablet tester than so we can set the speed right inside the menu? And is there a link to what the planned features/ fixes are for drawing speed?

1 Like

It was @dkazakov who was working on that so he’d be the best person to ask.

If you’re using Windows then you can try the portable .zip package of the 5.1.0-prealpha without affecting your installed version:
Krita_Nightly_Windows_Build [Jenkins]
Many people do use it and if it’s got some wrinkles or new bugs (which it has) then you can switch back to using your installed release version.
At least that would get you started on developing the Speed control aspect.

1 Like

I did a practice on that and I realized that to achieve this effect it is best to use textured fill layers, it gives a better result, adding noise to the brush doesn’t really help much.

6 Likes

Was thinking the same thing. The density setting creates a pretty bad (obvious) grainy noise.

I share some settings that you can try in one of the default brushes, it gives a good result.

3 Likes

edit: oops i just realized there’s an opacity parameter for brushed mask

two_brushes_copic.bundle - Icedrive i tried making one. Also added a flat smudge brush.

I took watercolor brush and made the subtract mask tip barely visible so the subtract was less powerful.

It works well with the mask brush hard mix blend too
Maybe try these two tips the more transparent one as the mask substract tip
rsblend substract masktip
rsblend substract masktip2

i’'ve also tried to paint on one layer and painting again on top with new color you can take last layer selection and delete new layer where they overlap. that way they dont blend as hard

2 Likes

These are really nice. I was modifying them to use tilt elevation for size (like having the two tips as you have in real life) but you can also tilt Copic markers to get a thin stroke. Adding the airbrush effect also helped to improve the feel. I got a really nice result, but made a mistake renaming a new brush preset so they ended up overwriting each other. :sweat_smile: Will post the results when I remade it.

I will also have to check the spacing, I want it on auto.

I don’t think I follow you on this one.

Okay, I think I got it to the point where I want it. The airbrush effect makes the brush quite slow and changes the texture, so I scrapped that. Perhaps we can add a flow multiplier for low brush and a size multiplier for low brush speeds once the speed sensor is fixed. That should hopefully lead to a better effect. I really like the brush a lot. Much better than the Copic Marker in Sketchbook!

Instead of a smudge version (which looks more like it is paint), I made a Blender version. I think it is alright in the basis, but to mimic the real markers, it should have a more grainy blend in between the colours.

Also, it should feel like it is pushing the ink out of the paper and create a darker edge of pigment on the edge of its stroke (the pigment is absorbed by the alcohol and moved as far as the alcohol moves over the paper).

Here’s the bundle:

https://icedrive.net/s/7PRADWB4AYBNuS95SCbGP6kjFS3V

6 Likes

nice teamwork, these work nicely.
is it the tip png size and quality that is hurting the speed?
that is the tip i made, barely visible:
fainttipsubtract1

allso this is what i get when i delete the overlapping areas, except its painstaking

shrink & delete result:

Hardmix instead of subtracts might creates a bleeding affect as well if you reduce brush size.
and maybe play with the mask brush opacity curve

I haven’t incorporated the brush tips you put out here on the forum. How do they affect the brushes on your end? There can be a tiny bit of lag with rapid and long duration strokes, but I am not sure why.

I don’t see why one would remove overlapping areas. I am personally fine with the way it is. Perhaps when the pigment based mixing comes out in the next version or so that would be a viable approach.

the masked brush’s predifined brush tip from the realcopic bundle i downloaded is using the tip i made. uh, i’m getting new pc soon.

occassionally a portion im working on might benefit from deleting (can vary how much too). i agree the appeal of these brushes is that they overlap as they do.

Okay, so everything is fine then.
May I ask, how did you make the tip?

/offtopic: Might want to wait for the next generation of GPUs to come out, rumour has it the launch is slated for July.

i just used the bezier pen tool on a vector layer. and adjusted the points how i wanted. then filled inside (select inside with wand tool and grow selection a bit) then made transparent + some blur

thoughts on this one? _multiply_copic_Testured.bundle - Icedrive its named multiply three right?

adjust masked brush spacing and size to improve performance
edited link

It leaves a good effect but it is barely usable, the brush is very slow.

I agree with SchrodingerCat, the brush is way too slow to be useable for me. Maybe with Instantpreview it could work. I noticed that adding blending modes to the brush I made already slowed it down quite a lot, so I suspect this is the same (hadn’t checked the settings tbh).

thanks for feedback.

• i think it’s the mask brush tip size its set at like 800 px,
  • And the spacing is all the way to the left which hurts performance that too can change.
    I didn’t try that many tips so maybe a different one is better.