Some of you might think of your own grand new great feature for Krita, and maybe even you know how to code, but getting into Krita codebase is difficult. Or maybe you’re bored and want to help, but don’t have much time. Or maybe you want to switch industry you’re working in and you’re learning programming in spare time.
Krita’s codebase might seem overwhelming, and frankly, it is. But we can always cut the beast into pieces and just take care of a very very little part of it. I was working recently on rating wishes - feature requests reported on bugzilla - to see how many of them are invalid, how many needs more discussion, how many are difficult, how many are not. Below it’s what I rated as “short, easy, ready”. I put a lot of items so you can choose what feels the most interesting to you
NOTE: If you become interested in one of those items, please do contact one of the developers (or comment here/below), that way (1) we can help you, (2) there won’t be multiple people working on the same thing. Also this list is for people who already know c++ and can read code; otherwise it might be quite difficult.
- 423170 423170 – JJ: MacOS' color picker pops up instead of Krita's internal color selector (change the color selector on MacOS to be the Krita one, not MacOS OS’s one which is much more limited)
- Remember last value in Feather Selection dialog: feather selections. - #2
349152 349152 – When transforming a clone layer with transform tool, create a transformation mask automatically When transforming a clone layer with transform tool, create a transformation mask automatically (similarly to how it’s done with File layer or something)[taken by @QChai, October 20]
- 381537 381537 – Zoom fit with margins? - the idea is that you could click “Fit to height” and it would fit the height of the canvas to be a little bit smaller than the height of the available canvas area
- 435293 435293 – color history popup shouldn't appear centered
Specific Color Selector - color preview idea - Add color preview to Specific Color Selector docker[taken by @ffwqo June 2021]
- 377034 377034 – Save Group Layers Dimensions not Retained Save Group Layers Dimensions not Retained
- 367694 367694 – Support loading palettes saved as a CSS file Support loading palettes saved as a CSS file
- 374726 374726 – The levels filter does not have a channel selector
- 423724 423724 – Open both files when autosave present - Improvement to dialog (this might need some more careful design behind the scenes, to ensure that the user won’t try to save both files into the same location afterwards - maybe the autosave file could have the filename
filename-autosaved.kra(it’s different from the normal autosave files so it would work?) - better to discuss with other users when you take this task).
399058 399058 – Convert the current layer into a reference image Convert the current layer into a reference image[taken by @TomWoo ]
- 348922 348922 – Wishbug : Extend the color patch ( previous and current color) while color picking to other tools such as gradient tools Wishbug : Extend the color patch ( previous and current color) while color picking to other tools such as gradient tools
- 409184 409184 – Feature Request: Ability to open image sequence and animated gif directly from file menu. Feature Request: Ability to open image sequence directly from file menu. (Needs to be finished: Ability to import animation directly (!727) · Merge requests · Graphics / Krita · GitLab)
- 406699 406699 – No suitable cursor on HDR dark pictures No suitable cursor on HDR dark pictures (requires some artistic skills )
- 412846 412846 – Expose ways to select/deselect nodes in the Layer docker Expose ways to select/deselect nodes in the Layer docker (longer work)
If you don’t look for fun but want to make the biggest impact with your coding, you can try to fix one of the following bugs. They are all meant to be somewhat easy to fix and shouldn’t take much time (although it’s a relative measure…). They might be a little more difficult than wishes though, since you’re not writing a new code, but fixing the old one.
- 411932 411932 – Instant preview can turn off permanently
- 422750 422750 – On canvas HUD color picker (square type) or color history swatches are hard to use due to no buffer area on edges
- 423830 423830 – Horizontal and Vertical Mirror tools have initial placement problems with more than one open image
- 428140 428140 – Advanced Color Selector looks ugly in horizontal layout
- 429501 429501 – Lock the recursive button when not applicable to make it less confusing
- 389346 389346 – Split layers on Colorize Mask doesn't work properly (takes ages, cannot be canceled) while it works fast after converting the mask into a paint layer
- 438607 438607 – Fill tool + Color Label filter + Animation is slow (VERY slow) (the Fill Tool part is easy, you can ask me for details)
- All of the crashes: Bug List