Beginner coding tasks in Krita: easy and short feature requests, ready to implement

Some of you might think of your own grand new great feature for Krita, and maybe even you know how to code, but getting into Krita codebase is difficult. Or maybe you’re bored and want to help, but don’t have much time. Or maybe you want to switch industry you’re working in and you’re learning programming in spare time.

Krita’s codebase might seem overwhelming, and frankly, it is. But we can always cut the beast into pieces and just take care of a very very little part of it. I was working recently on rating wishes - feature requests reported on bugzilla - to see how many of them are invalid, how many needs more discussion, how many are difficult, how many are not. Below it’s what I rated as “short, easy, ready”. I put a lot of items so you can choose what feels the most interesting to you :slight_smile:

NOTE: If you become interested in one of those items, please do contact one of the developers (or comment here/below), that way (1) we can help you, (2) there won’t be multiple people working on the same thing. Also this list is for people who already know c++ and can read code; otherwise it might be quite difficult.

Very simple

Features

GUI

Just simple, maybe a bit more work

Tools/features

GUI

Scripting

7 Likes

Hi

I’ve added this post to my bookmarks… it’s interesting to know which bug/features are accessible for a newbie

Not sure to have the time now to take a look about this: I already started to take a look to source code, and for now it’s a little bit too much for me :sweat_smile:

I already have some developer’s skills, coded with Basic (in 80’s :sweat_smile:), TurboPascal (90’s), Delphi (90’s), PHP, Python, Powershell, Java, Javascript…
But I’m a real beginner with C++ and it will take some time to learn C++, Krita’s classes and architecture, Qt… Use of CMake and Git (I’m used to use SVN but git for now, I’m currently not able to push to my Krita’s fork on invent.kde.org :blush:)

So I’m currently working on some plugin(s) and then slowy but surely learning PyQt and PyKrita’s API
This is the simplest and funniest way to start and contribute to the project I think :wink:

In few months (objective: before end of year) I hope to be able to take a look on ‘simple’ things listed here :grimacing:
And there’s some bugs with PyKrita API that I hope to be able to fix one day too :slight_smile:

Grum999

2 Likes

Thanks for the post @tiar. I’ll be happy to help but actually, i’m on Windows 10. I’ve made a dual boot with a kubuntu 19.10 since Deevad said they have integrated tablet gui… but having problems affecting the button of my Huion tablet (and some other problems with dual screen for exemple) and as i’m not fully confortable with linux for now (i’m waiting the kubuntu 20 release to make another try) i’m using Windows. Is there a documentation to help me compile sources and make modifications in Krita from my Windows, i tried but was discourage with the use of Python to use cmake and qt and the lack of clear documentation to do this (a documentation like the one for linux would be great)?

Truth is, development on Windows is much more difficult than on Linux, so most developers develop on Linux as a choice. I have this little guide: https://outsideofinfinity.wordpress.com/2019/10/07/windows-krita-development/ (no Carrot images though :frowning: ) which might be helpful for you, it has all the scripts so you don’t have to do anything except for downloading correct things and then running scripts. But it’s still more difficult than on Linux.

If you have any trouble, please just say so :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks i’ll have a look at it :wink:

Also having a look at this document. Krita is actually much more feature complete than other free software I’ve seen and worked with (and I definitely did experimentation), so I’d love to contribute to it. I think there are more Windows developers out here in 2020 that want to get onboard, but we need the ability to do so. Only then can we get a healthy group of developers on Windows, which also helps keep builds stable on it, so thanks for the guide. I’ll be testing that out shortly.

Oh you definitely can develop on Windows :slight_smile: It’s just that setting things up takes much more time than on Linux and it’s more tricky and that, I believe, comes from the quirks of the system itself and how complex Krita is (and because it uses cmake, possibly? and some libraries, like Vc, are really picky…). But when you have the environment set up, then it’s very similar, of course.

Hey tiar, if I encounter problems or have suggestions for the guide, I’ll comment on it there so it can serve to help everyone seeing the same guide. I’ve added a comment now (awaiting your approval); if you monitor Outside of Infinity for comments, I’ll continue to comment on it there.

1 Like

If you could come over to our IRC channel it would be better.

1 Like